Unless you happen to have been in a coma for the past two years, you will already know about wakeboarding, the new water sports craze that’s sweeping the world, and if you love wakeboarding so much, you will likely be thinking of buying your very own wakeboard boat. For the best possible tow when wakeboarding, you need a boat that sits shallow in the water and can deliver the power when needed, and with that in mind, here are our hot tips when looking to buy your own wakeboard boat.
- V-Drive-Direct Drive Vs Inboard/Outboard – A state of the art wakeboard boat would have V-Drive, or a Direct Drive, which means the engine is located mid-boat and drives a shaft that drives the propeller. V-Drive engines are located at the rear of the boat and make a bigger wake than the other types, which is the main reason for choosing V-Drive. As for inboard or outboard motors, while you can enjoy wakeboarding, if you want the ultimate wake, V-Drive is the ideal power unit for a wakeboard boat.
- Go with a Known Brand – You certainly don’t want to take any chances with such an investment, and if you are in Australia, Axis Boats simply tick all the boxes from a wakeboarder’s perspective. All it takes is an online search to find a leading wakeboard boat supplier, and with Axis leading the way, you really can’t go wrong with either a new or used vessel.
- Ballast – This means extra weight at the rear of the boat, which helps when trying to create a big wake, which might come in the form of seats or storage boxes. If you would like to learn more about ballast for wakeboarding, a Google search will help you to find many free resources about boating ballast and why it is necessary.
- New or Used – If this is your very first boat purchase, it might be wise to opt for a used wakeboard boat, which is obviously cheaper, plus you will gain a lot of experience and after a year or two, you will know exactly what you are looking for in a new wakeboard boat. Whatever you decide, a Google search will help you locate a boat dealer and you can make an appointment to view their selection of vessels.
- Accessories – There are quite a few extras that you could use to either make the boat more comfortable or to give you an edge when wakeboarding. Wake towers, for example, help you to gain the height needed to do some wakeboarding tricks, plus they make for ideal storage for speakers, racks and other items of equipment. Racks allow you to have more legroom in the boat and you can hang life-jackets and other items, which is better than leaving them on deck.
If you buy a well-known brand from an approved distributor, you will have the peace of mind that comes with a long warranty, and don’t forget to test drive any boat that you are thinking of buying.