A mattress can be pricey, so it makes sense that you would want to keep yours for as long as possible. But there comes a time when even the best mattress needs to be replaced.
Do I need a new mattress?
So how do you know when it’s time for a new mattress? There are some signs to look out for, including:
- You’re not getting enough sleep: If you find yourself tossing and turning all night or waking up feeling exhausted, it could be time for a new mattress. An uncomfortable mattress can make it difficult to get deep, restful sleep, which can impact your energy levels, mood, and overall health.
- You’re sneezing more: If you find yourself sneezing more often or have developed a cough that won’t go away, it could be due to dust mites. Dust mites are tiny creatures that thrive in mattresses, pillows, and other soft furnishings. They feed on dead skin cells and their feces can cause allergic reactions in some people. If you think dust mites might be the culprit, it’s time to get a new mattress.
- You’re waking up with aches and pains: If you wake up with a stiff neck, sore back, or any other type of pain, it could be due to an old mattress. Over time, mattresses can lose their support, which can lead to aches and pains. If your mattress is more than seven years old, it’s probably time for a replacement.
- You can feel the springs: If you can feel the springs in your mattress, it’s definitely time for a new one. Springs are designed to be covered by fabric and padding, so if you can feel them, it means the fabric and padding have worn down. This can be uncomfortable and even lead to injury.
- Your mattress is over seven years old: Even if your mattress doesn’t show any signs of wear, it’s still a good idea to replace it every seven years or so. This is because mattresses tend to lose their support over time, which can impact your sleep quality and lead to aches and pains.
How to choose a new mattress
Once you’ve decided it’s time for a new mattress, the next step is choosing the right one. There are a few things to keep in mind, including:
- Your sleep habits: If you sleep on your side, you’ll need a different type of mattress than someone who sleeps on their back or stomach. Side sleepers need a softer mattress that will conform to their curves, while back and stomach sleepers need a firmer mattress for support.
- Your weight: Your weight also plays a role in choosing the right mattress. If you’re on the heavier side, you’ll need a firmer mattress that can support your weight. If you’re on the lighter side, a softer mattress will be more comfortable.
- Your budget: Mattresses range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It’s important to choose a mattress that fits your budget so you don’t end up spending more than you can afford.
If you are having a hard time deciding which mattress is right for you, consider a custom mattress. Custom mattresses are made to order based on your weight, sleep habits, and other preferences. This means you’ll get a mattress that’s specifically designed for you, which can provide the best possible sleep experience.
Custom mattresses are usually more expensive than off-the-shelf mattresses, but they’re worth the investment if you want the perfect mattress for your needs.
When it’s time to replace your mattress, don’t wait too long. A new mattress can make a world of difference in your sleep quality and overall health. And, with so many options available, you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you.