How much do you know (or think you know) about injection molding services? These highly efficient techniques have become one of the most popular manufacturing methodologies of the past few decades, and for good reason. Today, we’ll be taking a closer look at some of the most pertinent facts surrounding this process and its significance within the manufacturing world.
The First Injection Molding Machines Were Created In The 19th Century
The late 19th Century, to be more precise. It was during this period in time when the creators of first injection molding machines, the Hyatt brothers, did so as part of a challenge implemented by billiard companies of the era. In an effort to find a replacement material for ivory, they developed a way to melt and inject early plastics into a mold to create different shapes.
Plastic Injection Molding Was Involved In Some Of The Things You Recognize Best
The popularity of plastic injection molding has only grown since its inception. There’s a pretty good chance that you see some products that were made (at least in part) by plastic injection molding on a regular basis. Think of Lego blocks, for instance, which have been in production since the late 1940s, or drink bottles that come in a range of shapes and sizes. Injection molding plays a part in many other areas as well, including:
- Casings and components for electronics: Think computers, televisions, remotes, etc. Almost every electronic device has plastic surrounding it or plastics inside it.
- Agricultural equipment: Especially as of late, because the industry is demanding low-cost alternatives to metal that are lightweight, durable, and sufficiently resistant to temperature extremes.
- Household products: Anything from drinkware to food containers to cleaning equipment might have been made using the plastic injection molding process.
- Automotive components: The bumper on your car, the dashboard, the controls for your infotainment panel, cup holders—plastic injection molding helped make them all.
The list goes on, of course, but just this short sampling should illustrate just how prevalent the use of plastic injection molding has become over the years.
Injection Molding Is One Of The Speediest Manufacturing Methods Around
Speed is of the utmost importance in the modern era, and speed is something that the injection molding process can deliver in metaphorical bushel-loads. Even more complex molds can be repeated in relatively short timeframes, and with the level of quality and precision that has made the injection molding process has become famous for.
“Plastic” Isn’t Just One Material
According to a Plastics Consultant, while it’s common for many people to consider plastic to be one single material, the truth is that there are thousands of subtypes when it comes to plastic, each with unique properties and specialized uses throughout various industries. Some of the most popular include:
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane
- Thermoplastic Rubber
Injection Molding Minimizes Waste
Last, but not least, did you know that the injection molding process produces only a minimal amount of waste? Each injection limits the overuse of plastic in its creation, and any excess plastic that does occur can be recycled in a subsequent process. This make injection molding highly sustainable when combined with the right material choices.